Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Experiments in Kindness



Kindness seems almost unfashionable these days. You don't see people putting "kind" on their resumes, beside "great team player" and "calm under pressure". But imagine if everyone valued genuine kindness in the workplace above all other qualities? There would be no bitching, gossiping, manipulation or backstabbing. Then, imagine if kindness was the number one value in the world. Imagine if being kind was something to be proud of. Our world doesn't always value kindness, but we can. When I "remember" (it doesn't always come naturally) to be kind I feel much happier, regardless of whether anyone else notices. So this week I am going to experiment with being kind. Here's how:

  • If I notice that someone looks nice, I will compliment them.

  • When I'm in a bad mood I will look for something nice to do for someone else as a distraction (instead of eating cake and watching telly or taking my mood out on them).

  • I will dream up little gifts to give people, just because.

  • I might even write a letter to a friend and send it by snail mail.

Although I haven't figured out how to promote this blog and as yet have no followers, I will document the results of my experiment in kindness in a few days.

1 comment: